How to get your VFP IDE windows to behave.
This fall I watched Alan Stevens present at the Southwest Fox conference and I really liked the way he had his Visual FoxPro IDE windows docked so when I got back home I tried it. The layout looks like this:
The problem that I had is the Visual FoxPro would not remember the position of the windows when exiting. Sometimes on startup it would be close but never totally correct. I asked Alan about it but he had never seen this behavior.
Finally after several months I found the solution on Tek-Tips. The original solution can be found here (http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1515817&page=4). But the basic steps behind this thread are:
1. DELETE your Resource file
2. Start VFP and SET RESOURCE ON
3. Confirm using ?SET("Resource")
4. Very important step: click the button to the left of the Close (X) button so that the VFP IDE is not maximized
5. Open, position, size and dock your windows/toolbars the way you want them.
6. Quit VFP by clicking the Close button (X), not by choosing File - Exit.
7. Restart VFP and the IDE should be the way you want it.
You can now Maximize the IDE and when you restart everything will still be where you want it.