Friday, July 11, 2008

Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.0

I attended a webinar yesterday on Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.0 and I think I wasted my time. Even though it was described as Level 200 – Intro, the presenters assumed that the audience knew something about prior versions of EntLib which I did not. I was hoping for some pictures of the architecture (which they did provide) and then examples showing how you used to do something and how you can do it better with EntLib.

I think that the concept is good and similar to what we have being doing with the Factory and Data Dictionary in VFE for years. I want to be able to see the injection side but I just couldn’t see it in the examples provided. I thought maybe it was just me but another person on my team (VB.NET programmer) didn’t really get it either.

Part II is this afternoon but I think I may pass until I do some more reading on Aspect-Oriented Programming and earlier versions of EntLib.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 7/11/2008 3:41 PM, Blogger Bob said...

Hi Toni,

Enterprise library is HUGE. There is so much to it you can't really show it all off in a webinar. (BTW: If this was an MS webinar they are much better to watch on demand.)

Also, Enterprise library is HEAVY on the architecture. While it is really nice if you need all those features... it is probably overkill for most of the apps you might write.

Interesting to see that you are looking into .Net. :)

BOb

 
At 7/11/2008 4:06 PM, Blogger Toni M. Feltman said...

Thanks for your comments. I did not watch part 2 today because I was so lost yesterday but the other members of my team that did watch said it was what I was asking for yesterday. Figures... I will watch it when the recording is available and be able to move on from there.

 
At 1/09/2010 6:41 AM, Blogger eBlogger said...

Hmmm! Yeah, I decided to go through the whole deal. I must confess, it was a bit confusing even for a veteran MS Ent Lib developer. Out of all the blocks, I have explored CAB extensively and have found that it is a great asset for small apps. However, as soon as we start getting bigger, say more than 2 servers in a web farm, Caching application block starts acting up due to its in-process and standalone nature. They need to do a lot of work to make it more scalabale and reliable in my humble opinion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home