Thursday, January 26, 2006

Customized View Editor

I cannot believe that I forgot to document one of the coolest new features in the latest version of Visual FoxExpress, customized view editors in DBCX!

When a view is selected in DBCX Explorer and Modify is chosen from either the toolbar or right-click menu, the normal behavior is to open the Visual FoxPro View Designer. Well, we can now incorporate other behaviors. If a program named ModifyView exists somewhere in the application path, that program is used to modify the view rather than the VFP View editor.

The ModifyView program is passed the name of the view that is selected in DBCXExplorer. Therefore, you could have a ModifyView program like the one below to run your favorite view editor program.

* Program ModifyView
LPARAMETERS ;
    tcView

DO C:\development\devtools\MyFavoriteViewEditor WITH tcView

I hope that you think that this enhancement is as cool as I do!

2 Comments:

At 1/27/2006 12:33 AM, Blogger Rick Schummer said...

Not very surprising how much I like this feature {g}.

 
At 1/27/2006 10:23 AM, Blogger Mike Feltman said...

You beat me to it. I was going to comment that I bet Rick Schummer will like this. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home