Monday, November 28, 2005

Parenting

I was going to try to keep my posts related to techie things but I am compelled to blog about an article I read in the newspaper today. The text can be found here if you are interested in reading it. The basic story behind the article is that a mother made her 14 year old daughter stand on a busy street corner (the mother was present the entire time) holding a sign that read:

I don't do my homework and I act up in school, so my parents are preparing me
for my future. Will work for food.

I say BRAVO! However, a psychologist was quoted as saying that this is psychological abuse and can damage the child. Is that same psychologist going to be there to support the parents when they have to deal with the pain of bailing the child out of jail when skipping school escalates to something more serious? How about the trauma on the parents when they ask the adult child to move out of the house in hopes if teaching them to live on their own when they know they will just probably live on the street?

It is obvious that this mother cares! She cares more about her daughter than herself. If you think about it, the mother was holding the invisible sign that said, "Look at me, my daughter is a screw up!" It would not be easy for a parent to go out in public and do what she did. When there is obvious caring and love like this, I don't think you can call it abuse in any way, shape or form.

I just hope that articles like this one don’t discourage other parents from doing what they feel is best when it comes to teaching their children. I think that Ms. Henderson did the right thing for her child and I would stand behind her. I would really love to sit down with the children of the people who think she is so out of line. Hmm, I wonder if they even have children? <s>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home